Submitted by DayBlogger on Mon, 04/23/2012 - 09:00
No mulch is perfect or ideal. Each has its pros and cons. Choose the type of mulch that you like best based on aesthetics, price and availability. Make sure to choose just one type for your whole landscape.
5 Purposes for Mulch
- Looking at bare dirt is boring. Colorful mulch can be attractive and help your plants stand out.
- A semi-thick layer of mulch minimizes weeds from growing in your beds and minimizes the time and money you spend on trying to get them out.
3. Moisture Retention
- Plants have time to absorb the moisture they need to grow when the mulch slows evaporation.
4. Temperature Mitigation
- Acting as a blanket, mulch protects your plants from extreme heat and cold weather by insulating the bed.
- Some mulch types decompose and break down to help condition the soil and provide a food source for the plants.
For more information, check out the full article, The Purposes for Mulch in the Landscape,